Learning Tools - Graduate Writing Center
On this site, you’ll find information to optimize your learning environment, develop strategies for graduate-level success, and manage personal challenges that affect learning and mission completion. Download a quick guide of resources (PDF) on this site.
Many resources are self-help, while others are made available through NPS program officers, faculty members, the Office of the Dean of Students, the GWC, and Dudley Knox Library. Faculty and staff are committed to protecting your privacy.
Please download the NPS Key Contacts guide, which gives you options for health services, counselors, the NPS Chaplain, the Crisis Line, and other sources of assistance for you and your family.
To help manage Covid-19's impact on your studies and well-being, including managing covid-related anxiety, visit our Covid-19 Student Support Resources page.
- Your Program Officer: Contacting your program officer is the first step to explore options for support inside and outside the classroom. He or she will listen to your concerns and help direct you to the right resources.
- Your Faculty Members: NPS faculty are committed to your personal and professional growth and your academic success. They, too, if asked, can provide accommodations inside and outside the classroom.
- Philip Gonda, Associate Dean of Students: (831) 656-7843
- CDR Kenneth Ferguson, Deputy Dean of Students: (831) 656-3385
- Tom Rosko, University Librarian: (831) 656-2343
- Dr. Sandra Leavitt, Director, Graduate Writing Center: (831) 656-3680
- Ali Rodgers, Faculty Development: (831) 656-7696
- Dr. Denny Lester, Director, Graduate Education Advancement Center: (831) 656-3432
A project of the Defense Centers of Excellence for Psychological Health and Traumatic Brain Injury, the www.realwarriors.net "campaign features stories of real service members who reached out for psychological support or care with successful outcomes, including learning coping skills, maintaining their security clearance and continuing to succeed in their military or civilian careers. These Real Warriors are proving through example that reaching out is a sign of strength that benefits the entire military community."
"In addition, the campaign encourages use of the DCoE Outreach Center, a 24/7 call center staffed by health resource consultants to provide confidential answers, tools, tips and resources about psychological health and traumatic brain injury. The Outreach Center can be reached by calling 866-966-1020, connecting through live chat or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org."
"Military OneSource is a confidential Department of Defense-funded program providing comprehensive information on every aspect of military life at no cost to active duty, Guard and Reserve Component members, and their families. Information includes, but is not limited to, deployment, reunion, relationship, grief, spouse employment and education, parenting and childhood, and much more. It is a virtual extension of installation services. Visit Military OneSource today or call 800-342-9647."
Here at NPS, contact Raceal McWhorter at 831-233-0427 to access the services of the Military and Family Life Counseling Program.
The Military and Family Life Counseling Program is here for you during the coronavirus disease 2019 pandemic. They now offer telephone and video non-medical counseling in addition to face-to-face non-medical counseling.
"JAN provides free consulting services for all employees, regardless of the condition. Services include one-on-one consultation about all aspects of job accommodations, including the accommodation process, accommodation ideas, product vendors, referral to other resources, and ADA compliance assistance."
The Teaching and Learning Commons (TLC) of the Naval Postgraduate School unifies and coordinates specialized services and resources offered to faculty, students, and staff in support of the NPS academic mission and academic excellence:
- Teaching pedagogy, educational design, and technologies (Graduate Education Advancement Center)
- Learning (Dudley Knox Library, Graduate Writing Center, and Thesis Processing Office)
- Technology (Information Technology and Computer Services)