Interlibrary Loan (ILL)
We share resources with thousands of libraries. Use this account to request books, articles, or other materials that we don't own. Or if you're a DL student, we will also send library-owned materials to you.
- Article PDFs: usually 2-3 days. Books: 1-2 weeks.
- You will be notified by email when the item arrives. You can also check the status of your requests by logging into your Interlibrary Loan account.
- We will hold books and other returnable items at the Information Desk.
- For DL students, materials will be sent to you via Priority Mail.
- Article PDFs are delivered electronically to your Interlibrary Loan account and will stay there for 30 days before the system automatically deletes them.
- Download the documents if you think you'll need long-term access to them.
Articles: You can keep as long as you like after downloading.
Books: Usually 2-4 weeks.
- Lending libraries generally grant an additional 2-4 weeks renewal, but sometimes they have a "No Renewals" policy.
- Request renewal via your Interlibrary Loan account or contact us for assistance at least 3 business days prior to the due date.
- If an item is recalled by the lending library, you are required to return the item to us within 24 hours.
- Failure to honor due dates, lending restrictions, and recalls could result in the loss of borrowing privileges.
Article PDFs do not need to be returned.
- Resident students, please return items to the Information Desk.
- DL students, please return our library materials via Priority Mail allowing enough time to arrive by the due date. You are responsible for this small cost.
- You are responsible for items checked out under your name until the items have been returned.
View ILL Renewal tutorial (3 min.)
- Login to your Interlibrary Loan account
- Under View, click "Checked Out Items"
- Click the appropriate transaction number
- Click "Renew Request" located at the top of the page (see note below)
The “Renew Request” link only appears for renewable items. If you do not see this link, it may be for one of the following reasons:
- The lender does not allow renewals – please return item by due date
- A renewal has already been granted and no further renewals are allowed – please return item by due date
- The item has been recalled by the lender and must be returned immediately
When only the “Clone Request” link appears, you may click that link to request another copy of the item – another copy will be requested once the original loan has been returned.
You may also contact us for assistance at least 3 business days prior to the due date.
Please also note:
- If you have overdue items, you may be blocked from borrowing other materials until the items are renewed or returned.
- Your ILL privileges may be suspended, and no further materials may be checked out until the overdue ILL item has been returned.
- It is your responsibility to replace lost or damaged items.
- Replacement of items will be considered on a case by case basis with exact replacement of items as the first course of action.
- Many lending libraries charge a minimum of $100 per item for lost or damaged materials plus processing fees.
- Textbooks. Check with the Navy Exchange Bookstore or with your professor to see if they have placed your textbook on reserve at the library. You can try requesting the item through our Interlibrary Loan service (click the First Time Users button to set up an account) but please note that not all libraries lend textbooks, and the lending period is often shorter (4-6 weeks) than a quarter lasts.
- Books published in the current year. You may use the Book Purchase Form.
- Audiovisual and microformat materials